Fonebank –Mobile phone recycling company
Fonebanker – Get Cash for selling mobile phone
Cart: 0 item(s) Your Account
News Categories
News Archive
Apple Grabs Up Mobile Security Firm AuthenTec For $356 Million
(18/07/2012 15:29:00)

It has been confirmed that Apple has acquired AuthenTec, a security company that has developed fingerprint scanning technology for mobile devices. The deal has cost Apple $365 million from their cash reserves which are estimated to be in excess of $117 billion.

It is unknown at this stage exactly why Apple has bought Authentec, but the company has been developing specialist security technology since its formation back in 1998. The company has produced over 100 million fingerprint scanning sensors during this time, of which 20% have been used in mobile devices and have been bought by many of Apples competitors including; Motorola, Samsung and Nokia. The other 80% of sensors have been built into many designs of computer by companies including Dell, Lenovo and Asus and provide both a degree of security protecting any confidential information held on your computer. In addition to this, they provide a quick and easy way of accessing your computer for all registered users, who just have to swipe their finger over the sensor instead of entering usernames and passwords.

It is widely believed to be a strategic move, which will see Apple include this new technology as an additional security feature in new launches of the iPhone and iPad. This advancement may help to attract new consumers who currently have concerns over the level of security offered by their current product range. It is also expected that iPhones will become our e-wallets and start to replace cash for low value purchases; a move that would give us greater convenience, however Apple will need in light of recent hacks and security breaches which have done little to allay people’s security fears over such systems.

The deal has proved profitable for AuthenTec shareholders, who saw the value of their shares rise by 60% to $8 per share overnight.

If you are planning on upgrading your mobile phone sometime this year and are considering an upgrade to the new iPhone 5 which is due for launch in the autumn, why not think about looking at a mobile trade in deal or selling your old mobile to a company that specialises in mobile phone recycling. It is possible to compare the prices that you could receive for your phone by using a comparison site which will tell you which company will offer the most cash for your phone.

<< go back to news stories
Need Help? Call on 020 7404 6440 or email
Leave Feedback 
Follow Us : 
Company Mobile Phones
Handset Terms and Conditions
Free Collection for 5 Mobiles+
How To Post
Data Removal
About Us
Buy Mobile Phones
iCloud Activation Lock Info
Full Terms and Conditions
Competition Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy


follow us on facebook follow us on twitter find us on youtube
For all questions about orders or general enquiries please contact:


+44 (0)20 7404 6440

Office Hours:
9.30am-5.30pm GMT
countries we operate in
COOKIES: Our site uses cookies. To find out what cookies we use and why we use them click here. If you carry on using our site we will assume you consent to us using cookies in this way.